Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 7, Oct 1: National Holiday

Every part of me is on fire! A river of people is flowing past me. Flashes flare. Cameras click. The beer is light and cool and calming. Bright lights shine from stores and roller skates and children’s rockets dwarfed only by the darkness of the side streets. The noise of the crowd is a loud hum. When our food is ordered, I the roll of smooth Chinese, and I hear the quick responses of the vendors. Everyone must lean in close to tell me something, and I can feel their breath on me when they do.

The people move past us bumping against us in every direction. At the corner or on the side of the street are military units and police standing at attention and in perfect unison they open and close the road ways for us to cross. We hold hands to keep together. Many others brush against us and crowd us. My skin is ignited by the physical sensation running up and down my whole body.

When “darkness” falls we spend more time on side streets and back alleys, frequently stopping at local convenience stores for a beer, further adding to my headiness. The rich scent of the food vendors drifts in and out of my head. Roasted meat, steamed buns, the sizzle of the grill, the dry powder of the spices, the happy smiles on the old and the young. Children wave flags, laughing, playing, smiling, up on shoulders or in strollers, some even sleeping in the constant hum of human activity. The squid is warm and soft and crunchy. The baozi (steamed buns with minced pork) is hot, the red pepper paste and vinegar electrifies my palate. Gyoza (dumplings) are fresh and perfect. The roasted, sticky, sweet, and savory chestnuts warm my body. Every food item is a complex mix of textures and flavors. It’s overwhelming. It’s surreal. It’s an out of body experience. My whole body is on fire.

I will never forget this experience, and I’m so thankful to have had it. Thank you TT and Shanghai.

I’m am stalling, holding on tight, trying to conjure them in any way possible; I do not want to lose these sensations.

Nanjing Road

I wish I could have captured some of the sensations above, but you can't put that in a bottle or on "film." But this may give you a taste.

No comments: