Monday, October 29, 2012

Making the Most of Back to Back Conferences...

A long week away at conferences! And I feel like I’ve experienced two very different United States. First I was in Brainerd, actually Deerwood, for four days. Doesn’t Deerwood just sound more Minnesotan? It’s a great Minnesotan lodge on a beautiful lake. The first morning I was able to see the sun rise beautifully over the lake. There’s nothing like the low bare granite rocks with just a few pines eking out an existence on them to make my heart melt and long for a paddle in my hands. Then I went for a run around the golf course and around a small, probably man made, lake. The back side of the lake was mulched and right next to the water it was so soft to run on and signs of animals were all around. I pictured myself sitting quietly next to one of the maple trees, camera at the ready, staring at the pond waiting for the beavers or otters that lived there to pop up. It was a fresh and invigorating run!

The conference was OK. I learned a few things here and there. I had heard too that the food was wonderful. It was not. Breakfast was typical Minnesotan, lots of carbs and fatty meats. The lunches were awful. One day they made Minnesotan, American, bastardized Chinese food. It was inedible! I thought, “They should stick to what they know up here and make hotdish.” So the next night I went to dinner, and I was a little optimistic, the first dinner was good, and I skipped out on the second dinner. In truth I was not disappointed in dinner the third night, though I barely ate any. But, they took my mental advice. They stuck to what they know—hot dish. Truly it was a hotdish for only one reason; it had crushed potato chips on the top. It was like no other hotdish I had ever had, it was cheesy potatoes with crushed potato chips on top. Like I said, I didn’t eat much of the dinner that night, but I also couldn’t complain, because they stuck to what they “know.”

A good run!
From Conferences

Like on my other adventures of late, to really enjoy the local food you must get out to where the locals eat! Luckily, a friend was willing to pick me up from the conference and help me get out into the local culture. This was by far the best part of the week (oh yeah, and all the learning from the conference I’ll take back to work with me). E. and I went to a bar called The Deerstand. Doesn’t that sound Minnesotan? Since I was skipping dinner I asked the bartender for his recommendation on the menu. He suggested the chicken and wild rice and Canadian bacon pizza. I don’t normally like Canadian bacon but if you’re going to ask for a recommendation you better be prepared to take it. It was superb! I mean superb, delicious. I would drive back there for that! So E and I ate and drank. And it was so nice to talk to her without all the other people we usually have around us when we’re together. We have a lot in common, and I really like her a lot. And a grentleman who was still celebrating his 75th birthday that was the day before came up to us frequently in his blue chamois shirt and chatted us up. He so much reminded me of my dad, I could have slipped him in my pocket and taken him home, if only my own dad had made it to 75! Of course, I see him in others and that certainly helps my compassion and connection to others.

I'm trying not to be judgmental here, so hat's off to Northern Minnesota carbs only hotdish!
From Conferences
Of course it snowed, As one friend put it, "Babe the frosty Ox"
From Conferences

Finally, with that conference behind me I headed home to hangout with the family and eat at a local establishment closer to home. Mmmm King’s Burgers, eat burgers like the locals eat and waffle fries and sour cream.

From Conferences

And the next morning I’m off to Seattle. When I first arrived in the hotel I instantly felt so lonely and alone. It’s not like traveling for leisure but you’re tempted by all these things you want to do, so it may feel a little like leisure traveling, except you’re surrounded by work people, work events, work schedules, and you have to be mentally “on.” But, as only I know how… I made the best of it. I became tour guide and headed over to West Seattle where we ate at a local pizza place. I think fish would have been better, but I’m not a very good tour guide and didn’t know there were half a dozen fish and chip shops down the beach. Oh well, the pizza was good. It was a good time none-the-less, experiencing the Pacific Northwest with the on again off again rain and the commuter life, using the water taxi and public transportation. So as much as I love northern Minnesota and would have happily turned over my ipad for a paddle, here I want to trade in my car for a good rain jacket and a good bike. As I walked around Seattle City Center today I wanted to lie down on the (wet) grass and just soak in all the art that surrounded me. I wanted to run the streets of Seattle this morning. I am dying to get to the International District for some local food, but long to be in that neighborhood for some international events. A thriving city is just as inviting as the woods. Even though I’m sure you can see straight into my hotel room, as I can see straight into the apartments across the block, I have to have my shades open—I have to be connected to that outside world. The worst part of the city today was having to get up early and not knowing the neighborhood and having to run inside on the treadmill with a dozen other people in the room. I’m meant to run outside. I love the tall trees as much as I love the tall buildings—and here in lies my discontent. It’s like choosing one of two loves. I love the lights as much as I love the stars. The city and the urban both have their assets and their flaws, and unfortunately I want it all. No, I need it all. I need both the city and the forest. I need the ocean and the woods. I need the summer and the snow. I need to swim and to climb. I need people and solitude.

I was able to break away for a local football game against my alma mader. Sadly, we lost, but I won a little; For the first time in my life I went to a bar by myself. And with the little practice I had a few weeks ago getting back into meeting people and enhancing my Dad-given social skills, I was able to strike up conversation with the first young man sitting next to me, and then the second one. It was tremendously fun just having a casual conversation with both guys and finding out about the interesting things that others do. I hope tomorrow I can get down to a more local level. Enjoy more local foods. I saw a good looking gyros deli, and Thai food, and Vietnamese, and Japanese, and Chinese, and Mexican, and a fish taco restaurant (I love fish tacos). Interesting how I think I love all foods but I didn’t mention the Italian nor the Irish restaurants I saw too. I think it’s too heavy… I like my veggies and things cooked lightly. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure I won’t get to all of these tomorrow. Though, I did have an excellent supper at SkyCity tonight, it definitely wasn’t what the locals eat.

A beautiful city view, too.
From Conferences
Local drinkery! 160 taps! I had gin and tonic, of course!
From Conferences
Delicious dinner-rare seared tuna. Not only good food but an art mecca too.
From Conferences
From Conferences

Final thoughts, so I’ve been walking to and from places a lot while I’ve been here. I’ve encountered many, many homeless people. I’m having a difficult time with this. I have a really solid appreciation for homelessness. There are so many reasons people are homeless and it’s not usually out of choice. But I just don’t know how to help. I could give them all the money in my wallet, which usually is none, but sometimes I have some. Do I give it to them? Does it help them in any real way? Would I be better off donating to a homeless shelter or is that turning away from the problem. And then, when you see a homeless person it really and truly pains me to see him or her sit there asking for money. What must it take mentally to beg for money from others? Sometimes I think they look happy or at least content, but I think it’s the same front any one of us puts on in front of the mirror or a boss or a loved one. We put on a good face for ourselves and for others, but every time we do that we are tearing away a little bit of ourselves and it takes years to rebuild that. So, what do I do when I see a homeless person on the street? What’s the right answer? I’m sure there isn’t a right answer but it inspires me to seek a little more understanding of the situation and to seek the advice of others who also have a better understanding of the situation. I’d like to find an opportunity to do some volunteering with the homeless when I get back to Minnesota.

No comments: