Sunday, April 5, 2009

Maple Tapping

Magoo and I visited a friend's cottage in Frontenac to check out how they make maple syrup.

We pull up in the car and he says, "I wanna go." He knew that at the conclusion of this new adventure there were chicks as I had promised a stop at Runnings to see them. They come in on Thursday and sometimes sell out so fast that if we don't get there that first day. We set off down the hill to take a peek at the trees and discover jelly bean deer scat along the way, he's an expert scat detector already! Then to the trees, we even got to try sap straight out of the tree, not too flavorful. Finally we make it back to the top of the giant mountain (Colorado influence still? it was just a little hill). Then campfire to watch the boiling of the sap was lots of fun, but most fun of all was getting to sample the finished product, boy did his whole body glow and his begging to go quickly ended, the photo I wish I had. Perhaps, next time I'll start with the sugar! We didn't stay too long, had to see the chicks!

From Spring 2009

From Spring 2009

No comments: